Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » theide/umk support for .lib/.a generation
theide/umk support for .lib/.a generation [message #55571] Sun, 22 November 2020 17:45 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Well, people keep asking about U++ as library.

Thinking about it, I have figured out it should not be that hard to produce required libraries.

So there are now 2 new flags builders react to:

MAKE_LIB creates .lib file from the package, including all dependencies. This is meant e.g. for CtrlLib or Core.

MAKE_MLIB creates .lib file only from the main package. This is meant for e.g. plugins, like plugin/zip.

I have already tested, producing Core.lib and after a bit of fighting with Visual Studio 2019 I have managed to produce working console application (first one after 20 years - yes U++ development started in Visual Studio).

Now the hard part is to decide how to "parcel" the U++ into libraries. I am also afraid there will have to be like 12 versions of each library:

- USEMALLOC (not using U++ allocator)
- STDNEW (using standard new/delete, but U++ allocator where possible)
- with upp allocator

- Debug
- Release

- Linked with dynamic CRT
- Linked with static CRT

That is 3x2x2 = 12.... All those memories that made us create theide are coming back... Smile

My current idea is that library generation should become a part of standard install. There would be a batch file / shell script that would generate it all. Maybe we can even make it part of theide or umk to automatize the process as much as possible.

I hope somebody will step in here and start parceling U++ and creating the script or maybe just "CreatLibs" package in uppbox or something... In the end, maybe the only input information needed is which packages are to be converted with MAKE_LIB and which are not to be converted at all. Rest should be made with MAKE_MLIB....

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message