Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Choosing the best way to go full UNICODE
Re: Choosing the best way to go full UNICODE [message #48180 is a reply to message #48179] Wed, 31 May 2017 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
cbpporter wrote on Wed, 31 May 2017 10:30
It looks like there are many possible ways to go forward. We can try several things and probably a lot of things will work.

As long as we understand that there is no universal way to make Unicode indexable, but on a case by case basis, you can. The only thing you can universally do is to iterate linearly over Unicode.

If you can iterate linearly, Unicode is indexable...

Quote:

But I still think I gave you a partial solution so many years ago.

To reiterate:
1. Utf8 to Utf16 and vice-versa must be fixed under all scenarios. We also need to add Utf8 to Utf32, but that is trivial compared to Utf16. So proper error recovery must be implemented and 4 byte long sequences must be converted to surrogate pairs.

Agreed.

Quote:

2. The Unicode table must be expanded to more than 2048 characters. Maybe not full range, but Unicode is based on blocks. We can move a bit closer to the CJK block, because for CJK, nobody expects more than the basics. Probably 8k at least.

Not so sure about this - not that important IMO at this point. So I will not get correct ToUpper for many characters - that has little impact on most applications.

Quote:

4. Implement DString? I don't know yet. On the other hand, implementing DSting is easy and it can be dropped in its own header and available for use.

I am now leaning against it. Vector<int> is good enough for utf32 - what we eventually need to do with it.

I am now really thinking that "multibyte" String is the solution. The one that returns a variable sequence of bytes for each position. I am now even thinking this does not need to be bound to graphemes only.

The longterm point with that is to replace WString as processing facility in editors.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Some addition proposals
Next Topic: Help needed with link errors (serversocket)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 14:09:13 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03010 seconds