Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Choosing the best way to go full UNICODE
Re: Choosing the best way to go full UNICODE [message #48184 is a reply to message #48183] Wed, 31 May 2017 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
mirek wrote on Wed, 31 May 2017 13:07

Then the result is definitely indexable. Or am I missing something?

Yes, performance!

Unicode Strings are not indexable and indeed you can make them indexable with Vector<String> (or better).

But that is a bit of Sisyphean act. The conflict between them being non indexable and you forcing them to be indexable will result in performance and memory overhead. Like I said before, you can make a list indexable by traverse and store but you rarely would do this in practice, instead replace your random access algorithm with a linear traversal one if possible.

Now, there are some mighty complex algorithms which probably will call for this, where we will traverse and store.

But for the rest, I still think that traverse and store into a indexable structure is the worst case scenario.

You still traverse the string once, but do not store only the current code point and maybe have a few "last" positions to keep track of some other characters from previous positions.

And I would still advise the use of a StringWalker class, one that can seek to a random position, but ideally the algorithm will never use this capability! After a seek (or just initialization) it will store the current code point and a few more fields, like begin of the code point, size of the sequence. Then it as ++ and -- to go one code point up or down. This class or a separate one can do the same for glyphs.

Using such a class (or embedding this functionality directly into String) to traverse the string once from beginning to end to process each codepoint/glyph will have almost zero performance overhead.

The important part is not to make the confusion that such a class makes string index-able, i.e. only random seek if can't avoid it. And random seek with small jumps. Writing the algorithm in such a way that StringWalker is List<int>, not Vector<int>.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Some addition proposals
Next Topic: Help needed with link errors (serversocket)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 13:22:20 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02372 seconds