Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ MT-multithreading and servers » SSH package for U++ (A feature-rich ilbssh2 wrapper for Ultimate++)
Re: SSH package for U++ [message #50150 is a reply to message #50149] Wed, 08 August 2018 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Is there any real-world example where you would need this kind of nonblocking behaviour?

All I can came up is some code that communicates with thousands of ssh servers at once. Looks very unlikely to me....

I use it in an app and for a limited number of ssh channels (usually 10-20).
But frankly, that code remains before the the CoWork improvements and the arrival of AsyncWork.
Nowadays in most such cases I use the async methods.

A short technical info:

- Ssh-based classes use a single callable target queue (FIFO), relying on deferred execution.

- Call to the queue elements are protected by a single static mutex (using INTERLOCKED).

- This allows easy maintenance but has a negative impact on the asynchronicity (it is not really possible to achieve %100 asynchronous operations with the design of libssh2 anyway. Yet the performance gains can be up to %30 in MT mode)

- Queue is populated by two interrelated methods: Cmd/ComplexCmd.
Cmd: Adds a single ananymous function to the callable target queue. In blocking mode it executes the function immediately. In non-blocking mode it defers the execution.
ComplexCmd: Firs and foremos,t this method acts as a nest for other Cmds. and other nests. This way it is possible to execute command chains in a consistent way (as if they are a single CMD).

Certainly you are not comfortable with the current implementation. (Besides, I haven't tested it yet bu as far as I can see your Get() implementation in svn won't work in non-blocking mode)

I have a new proposal: What if I get rid of queue mechanism and rewrite the package with only blocking mode and optional async transfer methods(using AsyncWork, and naming them agein SFtp::Asyncxxx)?
It won't take more than a week for me to come up with a working SSH package and the existing public API wont change much (only the NB helpers will be gone).
Besides its SC will be lot cleaner.

In fact, I had a working prototype of this (was using my Job class) I ditched in favour of the existing version.

As to your Get implementation:

int SFtp::Get(SFtpHandle handle, void *ptr_, int size0)
{
	int done = 0;                             // <- Can't be used in non-blocking mode.
	char *ptr = (char *)ptr_;
	Cmd(SFTP_START, [=, &done]() mutable {    
		int size = size0;
		if(OpCode() == SFTP_START) {
			if(FStat(HANDLE(handle), *sftp->finfo, false) <= 0) OpCode() = SFTP_GET; // <- This is for higher-level api. should be removed.
			else return false;
		}
		while(size) {
			int rc = libssh2_sftp_read(HANDLE(handle), ptr, min(size, ssh->chunk_size));
			if(rc < 0) {
				if(!WouldBlock(rc))
					SetError(rc);
				return false;
			}
			else {
				if(rc == 0)
					break;
				size -= rc;
				done += rc;
				if(WhenProgress(done, size0))
					SetError(-1, "Read aborted.");
				ssh->start_time = msecs();
			}
		}
		LLOG(Format("%d of %d bytes successfully read.", done, size0));
		return true;
	});
	return done;
}

I haven't tested this yet, but it shouldn't work in non-blocking mode. (because the execution will be deferred (Get will immediately return) and there is a local variable ("done") )

Quote:

Are they documented to be the same?

Nope, its my fault.
Best regards,
Oblivion.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 August 2018 21:48]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: WebSockets client in javascript connected to an U++ server sending binary messages
Next Topic: TURTLE high cpu usage, potential security flaw, and client handling problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 06:34:46 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01784 seconds