Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Statically linked Web Browser (Is it possible to create a statically linked Web browser with U++)
Re: Statically linked Web Browser [message #50294 is a reply to message #50292] Thu, 13 September 2018 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
seasoned_geek is currently offline  seasoned_geek
Promising Member
Novo wrote on Thu, 13 September 2018 15:10
Have you checked "bazaar/ChromiumBrowser"?
I'm not an expert in CEF, but I found this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28697196/compile-chromiu m-embedded-3-project-statically-with-libcef-static-lib
Theoretically, you should be able to compile CEF as a static library.
AFAIK, CEF has a multi-process architecture, so, you won't be able to create one fat "include all" executable.
You can check for similar functionality with other web-browsers. Maybe, they allow to use single-process architecture. I'm not an expert in Web-UI. A huge Web-UI based project my employer was working on for many years has failed, although we had a lot of success with Flash-based vector GUI, which we implemented as a static library.
Qt browser library should use a third-party rendering engine. It is practically impossible to develop another decent in-house rendering engine and JavaScript engine.

It is much easier to create regular GUI app with UPP and convert it into Web-GUI using TURTLE (example: reference/WebWord) Smile

Hope this helps.

Statically linked would, by definition, create a one fat "include all" module. It is the only reliable way to create a single executable which runs on many different versions of the same OS or even different OS's. A good static linked executable will run on both a Debian and RPM based distribution without having to install anything else. It's a real PITA, but the only way to have sanity. Otherwise you release something into the wild and get clubbed to death by willy-nilly updates to dynamically linked libraries which break things without a care in the world.

Thanks again for your help.

Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message