FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » External resources » FMC
Re: FMC [message #17333 is a reply to message #17332] Thu, 07 August 2008 22:17 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
asif wrote on Thu, 07 August 2008 16:01

Hi,

I would like to respectfully add that UML is not just for diagramming. It's a complete design tool for object-oriented analysis, modeling and design. Just think about designing a greater-than-300-tables database without an entity-relationship diagram!

Well, my infamous agenda project has over 600 tables Wink And I never felt even the need to ER type diagrams.

I guess that once you are accustomed dealing with memory data structures, relation tables are not much different.

Quote:

Sameway, you are sure to hit design bugs if you try to write large object-oriented apps without expressing your design using UML.

I would argue you are going to hit design bugs with UML too... Smile

Also, IME, UML implies sort of waterfall model, which, in my mind, is flawed from consumer's perspective. I mean, it is in fact very good for programming company, but does not lead to solving the problem. I am strong believer in the iterative approach. The application does not need to be "design bugs free" as long as you have playground area wide enough to fix them.

Quote:

I am not talking about just using UML. The UML tool you use should allow complete forward and reverse engineering of code - that is, your diagrams should change your source and your source should change the diagrams. The higher you go design/architecture wise, the more you realize the importance of UML.

Quite possible.

It is also true that "regular engineers" likely need some approach like that. Me, solving some problem, I am thinking about it 24 hours a day (even when sleeping). In that case, all these schema pictures just look funny Smile

Mirek

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: ccache
Next Topic: Clutter Graphics Library
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 03:29:19 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02227 seconds