FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » DarkTheme support
Re: Please check the list of 2019.1 changes [message #51153 is a reply to message #51152] Mon, 11 February 2019 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi Mirek,

First, as for the .iml images, adjusting their color through DarkTheme sounds good. (The current visibility on dark background is a bit challenging.)

As for the screenshots: For starters, I decided to tune the colors a little to make them a bit more what I would like to have (along the lines of "Mint-Y-Dark" theme on Linux Mint 19.1) as the 'Dark Theme on High Contrast' -selection was not exactly what I wanted. So, I started to look around for the UI color setting dialog on Windows 10. Well, there's no such dialog anymore. And as far as my googling went, there is no replacement either. In the end I'm under impression that there is no single decent place to set the colors. There are at least two registry areas that have an effect on Desktop application colors, but this is not complete:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Colors

Changing the colors therein does have an effect on colors on part of the items (after logging out and back in), but not all as far as I can see.

Additionally, most applications I have installed on my computer do not handle dark color themes (or changing the system colors above) too well. They either ignore it or have mixed results. No wonder though as Windows 10 itself does not seem to have a clear approach to this either. (Actually, e.g. Microsoft Edge does have its private Theme selection (Dark/Light) in its settings and does not follow system colors.)

So, IMO, your idea of picking up those few system colors from Windows that are actually available (on Windows 10 too) and then deriving the rest out of them sounds good. Just need to figure out which colors are actually adjustable in Windows 10 (through standard Settings) and then decide how to proceed.

I will try to create a dark theme for Windows 10 and then post it here for reference.

Best regards,

Tom

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message