FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » Look and Chameleon Technology » Dark theme issues
Re: U++ 2019.1.rc4 released [message #51587 is a reply to message #51585] Thu, 18 April 2019 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
The issues is that TheIDE CtrlCore constantly overrides your changes. In a very counter-intuitive way. Chameleon has been doing this for over a decade now. If you want to correct something, you can't easily do it. If you want to implement your own theme on top of the current dark mode? It is fairly hard. It is fairly hard to force a dark app on a light windows or the other way around. Making TheIDE do the same thing is even harder because it also constantly overrides you changes in many places. The same for code editor.

Chameleon has always been a bit hard to use and counter-intuitive.

As an example, the newest addition: SetDarkThemeEnabled. This should set your app to dark theme. Always. Without asking the operating system in 1000 places if IsDarkTheme.

Quote:
SetDarkThemeEnabled tells U++ that application is ready to handle the dark theme. It in fact has any meaning only in windows. If you activate that, app starts following theme setting in Windows 10.

IMHO that is a counter-intuitive and problematic design. SetDarkThemeEnabled means "Set my theme to dark": change colors and skins.

Why cant U++ detect multiple themes and be coded to religiously follow those themes. So that if you change them, I don't have to track down dozen of places to make things just work.

I would use a design where you have a Theme, all theme aware components just read from the theme, nobody can write, the theme knows if it is dark or now (you can use heuristics if not sure) and then people are free to update that theme. The system would auto-detect the theme before GUI_APP_MAIN, produce both light an dark versions, and then you in GUI_APP_MAIN can produce a new theme based on both, set the theme without ruining the originals and things should just work.

In short, two phases:
- auto-detect and build several themes
- use the theme (just set a pointer and force the gui to refresh)

And negative icons must be turned on or off independently from any setting. All my hand inverted dark mode icons are now auto-inverted and made ugly.

Been though this multiple times, but never arrived to a final perfect dark mode skin.

I'm currently googling samples, this is the best I found for full GUI.
https:// www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/9reqtm/i_wasnt_planning_on _sharing_this_so_early_but/

I'll continue searching and am open to suggestions. If anybody knows a good dark UI that is easy to copy, please let me know.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message