Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » WhenAction() -> ProcessEvents() -> WhenAction() -> hang, crash :-) (I'm probably stretching reentrancy of the GUI callbacks too far)
Re: WhenAction() -> ProcessEvents() -> WhenAction() -> hang, crash :-) [message #52838 is a reply to message #52836] Sun, 08 December 2019 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
xrysf03 is currently offline  xrysf03
Thanks for resonse Koldo, always polite and always swift Smile

Hmm... I can see that U++ has its own class Mutex and ConditionVariable. And they appear to be less convoluted (objectified) than the C++11 std::mutex and std::condition_variable (geez... if I didn't know the bare C libpthread version, I would probably just shake my head in disbelief).

My favourite and perhaps "naive" mechanism for passing lumps of something to do, between a producer and a consumer, is using a queue, protected by a mutex+condvar. What is the most appropriate container in U++ to implement a FIFO queue? The online help mentions Vector, Array, BiVector, BiArray... and in this case, I don't need to index the "collection" on anything, all I need is FIFO operation. So I don't need a Set, let alone a Map.
Hmm. Or perhaps I'll just preallocate the buffers and use a simple Semaphore...

Actually none of this is probably relevant to the GUI. I'm just thinking forward Smile I'll probably use one background thread to do the tuning and grabbing, and another background thread to do the crunching and ScatterCtrl updates. And I'll write the updates straight into the buffer that's been preallocated and passed to the ScatterCtrl. So all I need to ask the GUI foreground thread to do, is use Ctrl::Call() or PostCallback() to do a ScatterCtrl::Refresh() on my spectrogram object... any examples of this would be welcome. Or generally how to tell the GUI foreground thread to redraw a ScatterCtrl that has had its data buffer changed by a background thread...

----

Ahh, apologies, I'll have to check the reference/GuiMT . There's a nice example of PostCallback(). Ouch... anonymous functions in C++...

[Updated on: Sun, 08 December 2019 21:26]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: [solved] Register a callback on "when window resized" ?
Next Topic: CryptoCurrency wallets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 03:41:40 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.96202 seconds