Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » WhenAction() -> ProcessEvents() -> WhenAction() -> hang, crash :-) (I'm probably stretching reentrancy of the GUI callbacks too far)
Re: WhenAction() -> ProcessEvents() -> WhenAction() -> hang, crash :-) [message #52840 is a reply to message #52838] Mon, 09 December 2019 12:00 Go to previous message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Hello Frank,

Adding to what Koldo and Mirek said,

Quote:

What is the most appropriate container in U++ to implement a FIFO queue? T

IME, BiVector for FIFO/LIFO queue of moveable types, and BiArray for FIFO/LIFO queue of non-moveable/quirky types.
BiVector and BiArray are bi-directional random access containers, allowing adding or removing elements from both ends in a constant amortized time.

Quote:

Hmm... I can see that U++ has its own class Mutex and ConditionVariable. And they appear to be less convoluted (objectified) than the C++11 std::mutex and std::condition_variable (geez... if I didn't know the bare C libpthread version, I would probably just shake my head in disbelief).

IMHO, as I said elsewhere, you should really look into Upp::AsyncWork or Job. I'd suggest using Job here, not because I am the author of it Laughing , but from what you describe, it seems that it suits your needs better:

- Unlike Upp::AsyncWork, it does not require a pre-allocated thread-pool. It is a single, scope-bound worker thread that can be used as a dedicated thread.

- Unlike Upp::AsyncWork, it is guaranteed to run the desired function in another thread.

- Unlike Upp::Asyncwork, it has an internal latch: if a work is already in progress, then calls to Job::Do method will simply return false.

- Just like AsyncWork it has a result gathering, thread cancellation and exception propagation mechanisms.

I've attached the Job package and the multithreaded version of U++'s AnimatedHello example, running on Job. It demonstrates a one way of constantly updating the display from another thread, and handling gui locks/threads. Hope it helps.

(Note it can also be written almost identically using Upp::AsyncWork. But you'll have to provide a latch yourself, and also it will bring in the overhead of a pre-allocated thread pool)

Use CTRL + D to start animation, and CTRL + C to stop animation.

And let me know if you encounter any problem or have any questions.

Best regards,
Oblivion
  • Attachment: Example.zip
    (Size: 8.97KB, Downloaded 199 times)

[Updated on: Mon, 09 December 2019 12:05]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: [solved] Register a callback on "when window resized" ?
Next Topic: CryptoCurrency wallets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 06:16:59 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02297 seconds