Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » MILESTONE: gtk3 replaces gtk2 as default linux backend
MILESTONE: gtk3 replaces gtk2 as default linux backend [message #52902] Fri, 10 January 2020 10:38 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I have reached an important milestone, commiting gtk3 branch (which I have been developing for the last couple of month) into U++ trunk.

This replaces gtk2 as our backend (BTW, small explanation here for future references: U++ is still 'emulated' GUI, with its own set of widgets; we are using gtk just as interface to host system, basically only top-level windows and events. The reason for using gtk3 as backend is mostly for improved integration).

With this backend I have also taken slightly different path for chameleon - we are now using only several basic 'looks' from gtk3 (namely shape of basic buttons, check/option boxes, menu looks, scrollbars, standard font and GUI colors) and generate rest (e.g. comboboxes) as "synthetic" GUI based on these. That should fix many small visual glitches that have plagued U++ in the past, especially with some exotic theming. Plus, unlike gtk2, gtk3 has support for UHD mode, so looks much better on my LCD Smile

Minimal version required for gtk3 is 3.8 - that accidentally coincides in historic timeline with C++11 support availability; for now however at least 3.22 (~2017) is required for full chameleon support. I also plan to develop some nice new default clean theme to replace that old XP look which was our fallback look for more than 10 years... that will probably be the theme for pre-3.22 gtk3 and definitely for plain X11.

It will take a month or two to mature this, please test & report problems...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message