Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » [Proposition] Simply source package manager for Upp
[Proposition] Simply source package manager for Upp [message #54236] Sat, 13 June 2020 22:18 Go to previous message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello,

I would like to start the discussion about adding simply source package manager for Upp. The general idea behind it is to add easier way of consuming 3-rd party code. For example, I would like to use Oblivion's MessageCtrl or TerminalCtrl. Right now I need to copy that source code from GitHub to one of my assemblies and consumes it there. Of course such approach is problematic due to the need of manual work like coping file, also updating such package requires additional manipulations. My idea assumes that this work can be simplify by specifying the GitHub repo link with the version (latest by default). Here is my proposition to .upp file modification:
description "Rudimentary HelloWorld application with menu and status bar\377";

uses
    CtrlLib;

uses_remotes
    https://github.com/ismail-yilmaz/message-ctrl.git@master;
    https://github.com/ismail-yilmaz/terminal-ctrl.git@1.40.1;

file
    hello.cpp;

mainconfig
    "" = "GUI";

In the source code, all you need to do is to include this packages like the regular ones
#include <MessageCtrl/MessageCtrl.h>
#include <TerminalCtrl/TerminalCtrl.h>

// ...

It will require one repository per package. Repositories that will aggregate several packages will be prohibited.

The general idea is exactly the same as we can see in golang. It is source only package manager without binaries. Precompile binaries support can be added in the future, however it is not critical right now.

Adding simply package manager will encourage developers to create their own packages. In the long term it will mage Upp much stronger with bigger community engagement. Moreover, it will be huge opportunity to clean bazzar.

I would like to here what do you think about such improvement.

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: How does UPP classify keys
Next Topic: Will UPP support full UNICODE (21bits long codepoint)?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:16:32 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04193 seconds