Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » [Proposition] Simply source package manager for Upp
Re: [Proposition] Simply source package manager for Upp [message #54241 is a reply to message #54237] Sun, 14 June 2020 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello Koldo,

Quote:
I am not able to understand this obsession against Bazaar, as it gives consistency to U++ supporters effort, that if not, it could be dispersed in different external repositories. I would ask Mirek not to lose this cohesion.

I would like to thank you for your feedback.I think there is no obsession against Bazaar. It is good project, however we can handle it better and in more decentralize manner. Moreover, all packages can be developed independently. Even if we remove Bazaar from upp distribution, it doesn't mean that we will stop promoting Bazzar packages. Their packages should be present on website and there should be the possibility to download Bazzar examples from TheIDE.

Quote:
However, if it is decided that GitHub is going to be the main repository for U++, Klugiers's proposition, or something similar, would have to be sooner or later implemented.

It is just a proposition, however as we want to grown. We should focus on making upp a platform that is easy to expand.

Quote:
In fact, I have felt myself in this situation today. If you expect to deploy your project in GitHub, like BEMRosetta in my case, today it is a problem to deploy your sources with U++ in a coordinated manner so user can get and compile updated sources properly.

Optimally with the package manager we should be able to overcome this issue. You should have single script/makefile/cmakelist that will download umk, package manager and target upp platform. So, .upp file should support remote assemblies. Here is some conceptual proposition:
description "Rudimentary HelloWorld application with menu and status bar\377";

uses
    CtrlLib from remote uppsrc; // <- Remote assemblies support...
    MessageCtrl from remote;
    TerminalCtrl from remote;

remotes
    https://github.com/ultimatepp/uppsrc.git@2020.1;
    https://github.com/ismail-yilmaz/message-ctrl.git; // <- If version not specified use latest master version
    https://ultimatepp.org/ismail-yilmaz/terminal-ctrl.git@1.40.1; // <- You should be able to use any git provider not only GitHub

file
    hello.cpp;

mainconfig
    "" = "GUI";

The version compatibility and dependencies should be designed with careful. Please notice that some other remote packages can have dependencies, too. So, we should be extremely careful. We do not want to create dependency hell Smile

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Sun, 14 June 2020 00:38]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: How does UPP classify keys
Next Topic: Will UPP support full UNICODE (21bits long codepoint)?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 18:01:52 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02701 seconds