Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » C++ language problems and code snippets » FP exception vs NaN
Re: Capture division by zero [message #55275 is a reply to message #55273] Tue, 27 October 2020 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
koldo wrote on Fri, 16 October 2020 09:15
I would like to capture floating point errors.
For now in case of error the program execution follows, but you can find in the doubles, things like INF or NAN.
This behaviour is very conservative for my apps, and I'd prefer in some situations to capture these situations stopping the execution.

I have tried it unsuccessfully using:
- signal(SIGFPE, ...)
- _controlfp_s()
- _set_se_translator()

Any help will be acknowledged!

PD. Somebody could say "just check that all data is adequate before using it in division, sqrt, ...". That's true, but difficult and cumbersome in some situations using uncontrolled data sources where sometimes even doing lots of "if" to check the consistency of data, that's not enough.

Ah, that explains it. So you have like 2 weeks of experience with this issue Smile

I was all hurray 3 years ago into catching all FP exceptions and avoiding all NaNs. Not so sure today....

Just consider this: Historically, FP exceptions were default and always active, divide by zero or negative sqr always stopped the code just like dereferencing NULL. Then IEEE basically replaced this behaviour with NaNs as default. Maybe they knew something? Smile

If you want a very simple contraexample where NaN is definitely better, look at this:

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1074135/Evaluating-expr ession-with-descend-parser-and-Uplu

Mirek

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message