FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » UppHub
Re: Uppiverse [message #55568 is a reply to message #55542] Sun, 22 November 2020 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
The very first experiment implemented in theide. I would like some sanity check by community before refining the issue.

Uppiverse is meant to be a decentralized system of independently developed U++ modules.

The idea for now is that such a module is an U++ nest somewhere on github (or another git repo, will probably add svn support in time). Then there are declaration files which are placed somewhere on the net (later probably in files), in the extreme it can even be a forum post as demonstated by this message thread and another one, "uppiverse2".

Declaration file is basically a json that declares that there is a repo with U++ nest, its name, description, packages, repo url AND (the important twist..) it also contains links to other declaration files (that is the one in uppiverse2 message thread for now).

Another element is "uppiverse" folder on development machine, that is where these nests are cloned. uppiverse folder can be set in assembly or left empty for default uppiverse (which is then set in theide settings or if empty is ConfigFile("uppiverse"). Integration of these cloned nests with current system is then trivial: all folders in uppiverse folder are simply added at then end of list of assembly nests.

I guess this is the basic description of current status. In theide trunk, in setup menu, there is a new very preliminary "Install Uppiverse package(s).." entry to test this, it really now just loads the links from the forum uppiverse2 message thread Smile (will be changed later).

A lot is to be polished and resolved, the one relatively difficult thing is that uppiverse should be somehow activated when on loading the main package some package is missing. There are also issues with possible nameclashes, I think the best solution is to declare any nest that would introduce a package nameclash ill-formed and reject its installation (more specifically, remove it after installation).

Also, if you do not like "uppiverse", I absolutely welcome suggestions for a better name!

[Updated on: Sun, 22 November 2020 14:00]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message