Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » UppHub - new package registration (How do we want to solve this problem?)
Re: UppHub - new package registration [message #56259 is a reply to message #56258] Mon, 15 February 2021 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello Mirek,

A) I think for most projects master/main is unstable. If it is stable enough and certain features are present then the master became release via tagging. If it requires more polishing then release branch is created and then tagged if everything is fine. Please look at upp trun (the equivalent of master in git). Sometimes you commit DDUMP and it will not compile. We understand it, because it is trunk. For tagged branch the author guarantees you that it was tested enough, so the trivial problems are not there.

Of course, you could protect master better like running CI/CD (builds and automated tests) on each PR. You can no use direct commits in such case, because you can break compilation. However, you still can sneak some nasty bug that should be eliminated before release (feature freeze phase).

My opinion here is clear. If maintainer provide tagged branch, then it means that users receives more polish and stable product. We should allow that and follow in that direction.

B) The differences between release can be read in releases bookmark on GitHub (Example - similar to Upp Status & Roadmap): https://github.com/klugier/UppGoogleTest/releases). So, the user could be aware of the changes. The use of certain commit/branch could be the situation when you fix certain issue for certain user and would like to give him opportunity to test it from UppHub.

I think we should display in the array "commit/branch" that is actually fetched. On right click with menu we could open dialog where user could specific branch/tag/commit etc... And after accepting he should be re-switched.

C) Agreed!

Anyway, we could discuss it via Skype. For me it is good to clear it up before release.

Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 February 2021 01:51]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message icon5.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: How can I use CORE/SSL to sign something or check signatures?
Next Topic: How does one get argc and argv parms when making use of GUI_APP_MAIN?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 01:20:42 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03053 seconds