FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » About WebAssembly
Re: About WebAssembly [message #56214 is a reply to message #56213] Tue, 09 February 2021 14:33 Go to previous message
mirek is currently online  mirek
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Tue, 09 February 2021 12:42
Novo wrote on Tue, 09 February 2021 00:00
mirek wrote on Mon, 08 February 2021 14:49
Novo wrote on Mon, 08 February 2021 19:35
AFAIK, WebAssembly requires all data to be aligned by at least the word size. This can be a problem ...

Even char? Like you cannot do char *s = ...; *s++?

Probably, you can do that. Last time I had to deal with compiling C++ to Web was, probably, ~5 years ago. And that was Emscripten.
The only thing I remember for sure I had to properly align unaligned data structures, otherwise we were getting runtime exceptions. Part of the code had to be disabled because of problems with data alignment.

This was ~FIVE years ago. Life has changed since that time. And we have WebAssembly in addition to Emscripten now.

Another thing: compilation with Emscripten wasn't a problem at all.

P.S. I personally would prefer to use Turtle because of security reasons. WebAssembly can be easily decompiled, and in case of Turtle the only thing people can steal is a picture in a Web-browser. Rolling Eyes

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I agree very much: Turtle is and remains the solution for code to be kept safe. However, to move the computational load to the client side requires different approach. (Maybe even a hybrid approach, where GUI runs on the client side and the critical algorithms on the server side out of reach.)

Anyway, I tried out the structure alignment and it seems to work just fine like in MSC/CLANG/GCC when using #pragma pack(push,1):
#include <stdio.h>

#pragma pack(push,1)

typedef struct{
        char    a;
        short   b;
        int     c;
}struct_t;

#pragma pack(pop)

int main(){
        char buffer[]={0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11};
        struct_t &s=*(struct_t*)buffer;
        printf("a = %XH\n",s.a);
        printf("b = %XH\n",s.b);
        printf("c = %XH\n",s.c);
        return 0;
}

The result is:
tom@TomVM:~/test$ emcc test.cpp 
tom@TomVM:~/test$ node a.out.js 
a = 0H
b = 201H
c = 6050403H

(When I tried it without #pragma pack(), the structure alignment was on 16 bit boundaries by default, just as you pointed out.)

This was using Emscripten producing WebAssembly+JS output files.

Well, I guess it is still a long way to a U++ based GUI app running on a browser as WebAssembly with WebGL graphics backend.

Best regards,

Tom

Well, WebAssembly was definitely one possible "next step" in U++ development. Simple WebAssembly should be fairly trivial, devil is in details like clipboard and drag&drop - last time I have checked these were not quite simple to achieve. Maybe window management, if we wanted it to behave more like standard desktop app...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Strange Architecture
Next Topic: Best way to chat between two pc
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 14:16:42 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02209 seconds