Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » Ultimate++ vs Wxwidgets for desktop linux/windows/mac app (gui)
Re: Ultimate++ vs Wxwidgets for desktop linux/windows/mac app [message #57283 is a reply to message #57281] Thu, 24 June 2021 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
germandiago is currently offline  germandiago
Promising Member
Hello Mirek,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I gave it a small try yesterday to U++ + TheIDE and the feelings are quite good so far. It looks like it is working well and it is battle tested.

It is true that it is not native rendering, but for my purposes it will not make a big difference (it is mainly for internal tooling).

1. What would be the effort involved (maybe man-hours?) in, let us say, have Meson wraps for the GUI part of U++?
https://mesonbuild.com/Wrap-dependency-system-manual.html

If you are not familiar with Meson wraps, these are basically overlays (patched builds) + meson.build files written to be able to consume libraries as subprojects in a standard way, think of something like Conan. I would be interested in having something that can make use of Meson standard workflow and be able to consume U++. Conan would also be ok if there is more interest, since Conan can be used from both CMake and Meson AFAIK.

Why this workflow? Basically because I already use emacs + lsp and CLion for code completion.
I would still use TheIDe as the layout designer. I am really impressed that it worked so well. U++ looks like polished and the API nicer to use than wxWidgets, since everything ends up embedded in normal C++, even layouts.

As something out of my reach now, I think that if you have few resources, and unless you are under some kind of restriction, it would be nice to make U++ consumable by CMake + Meson. The library is all worth. The missing part would be a layout designer out of TheIDE. Nowadays IDEs have a really good completion engine via compile_commands.json and/or CMake but it seems that U++ is locked down under theIDE. This would free resources to focus on:

1. integrating with Conan to be able to consume from CMake/Meson --> this could bring new users
2. free from TheIde maintainance, unless it has reasons to exist still. Nowadays there are really powerful IDEs (the layout designer should be kept somewhere, as a plugin for other software or from theIde anyway).

I would be interested in porting U++, in a modular way to be consumed by Meson (Conan is ok, so Meson + CMake is viable). Thank you.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 June 2021 23:01]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message