Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » Applications created with U++ » VideoPlayerCtrl using OpenGL + ffmpeg + portaudio (It was needed so I wrote one but it still needs a lot of work and review)
Re: VideoPlayerCtrl using OpenGL + ffmpeg + portaudio [message #57344 is a reply to message #57342] Thu, 15 July 2021 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Xemuth is currently offline  Xemuth
Hello jjacksonRIAB,

Thanks for sharing ! I wont really be able to talk about how you did it.

But I have a question concerning OpenGL. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems you use OpenGL as a way to render your current frame on screen via a texture binding. However, AFAIK using OpenGL here seems to be overkilled for somes reasons :
- Since texture must be loaded in current VRAM, it mean at every frame you send data to VRAM (I think it's exepensive)
- Even if your frame / view don't move at all, OpenGL do a lot of calculation every frame to determine pixel position. (again it expensive)
- OpenGL allow double buffering (even triple buffering with a bit of trickiness) but you seems to not exploit it.
- Even if you seems to use really basic openGL function, may older computer (old openGL version) will struggle to run (maybe wont) the player. (I think about
Raspberry, if I remember well, the Pi3 support a really old openGL version on it. Maybe it wont work ? I will test it...).

as you say, "Support rendering surfaces other than just OpenGL" is a really good point to do.
Have you planned to share this Ctrl on UppHub ?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: BEMRosetta
Next Topic: Visual Studio Map File Browser
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 15:07:50 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03060 seconds