FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » clangd
Re: clangd [message #58384 is a reply to message #57574] Mon, 16 May 2022 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mirek wrote on Thu, 30 September 2021 12:57
After thinking about it for a while, I decided that I am not going to add clangd to TheIDE _myself_:

- it is quite a lot of work
- it does not meet my requirements for speed
- most importantly, I believe that people that want this would actually be even happier with Visual Studio Code (or some other "normal" IDE/editor). To integrate U++ with it seems to be much less work that to add clangd to TheIDE.
- U++ semiheuristic parser is work in progress, but it is MUCH faster than "real compiler" and the current architecture is fine in regards of what it can achieve. I believe that adding missing features to it is in the end less work that to integrate clangd. And much more fun too Smile

That said, if somebody wants to have a try at this, I will be more that happy to watch the progress!

Mirek

OK, I am reconsidering and willing to give clang a try. However, not clangd - clang ast seems pretty reasonable and I think I can do better using blitz and stuff for performance.

That said, if I run clang for anything nontrivial with dump-ast (that dumps ast in human readable form), it takes 20s to generate 400MB file. Meanwhile, emit-ast is fast and creates 40MB of binary file. Has anybody any experience in parsing this binary data or willing to give it a try?

The ideal solution should at max use what is already in win32 release (- I mean, it is ok to use any .dll from clang). I believe libclang-cpp.dll in fact contains whole clang api, so that should be doable.

Mirek

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message