Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » U++ libraries and TheIDE converted to Meson build system
Re: U++ libraries and TheIDE converted to Meson build system [message #58676 is a reply to message #58675] Mon, 18 July 2022 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello German,

The general idea with this change is good. We need to deliver binaries that could be consume with other build systems. So, any project that aims to achieve this goal deserves recognition. If we for example manage to be consume by Conan package manager and CMake, then it will be a big gain for us. I remembered the discussion on the Redit and the main complain about Upp was that it requires specific environment. So, braking that silo in the long term is needed to achieve bigger reorganization and success.

In context of WxWidgets, you are right that Upp is better designed. I have never liked WxWidgets and the applications that use it. Upp just works faster and better. So, I am glad you want to invest your time in our framework.

I am not familiar with Meson, so I can not tell if it is right choice to achieve that. But, from what I reading it looks good, so far. I see one drawback at the moment of meson, you need to specify sources explicitly. It adds additional maintenance cost, which is not good. Sources should be deduced by parsing .upp file. There should be one source of truth, which files belong to project. We have explicit files list in our Makefiles, but this file are generated, not written by hand.

Emacs/CLion - I totally understand the people who would like to use different ide's. We should allow people to do that. In addition to that, I would like to add that Mirek is right now working on integrating libclang to TheIDE, so our ide should be much more better in near future. However, still you should't be force to use and you should be able to use ide of your chocie.

Thanks for that contribution. We will monitor your progress.

Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Source Code Efficiency Minor Issue