Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » U++ libraries and TheIDE converted to Meson build system
Re: U++ libraries and TheIDE converted to Meson build system [message #58679 is a reply to message #58677] Mon, 18 July 2022 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
germandiago is currently offline  germandiago
Promising Member
Oblivion wrote on Mon, 18 July 2022 22:37
My thoughts:

Adding an optional meson support is a good idea (generally), at least on POSIX, as it is a modern and very easy to use (yet very capable) build system.

However, I think it might be better to expose a generic builder api in TheIDE/umk for making build tool scripts... (instead of a hardcoded make/cmake script creator we have...)

And this can and should be done with TheIDE/umk + Esc-based macros (then it can be implemented and shipped as different "build-script maker" macros without a costly maintenance burden or broken code in theIDE's code base...

This way, we can even collect different build script creator macros into a single, externally curated package (say, in UppHub)

Best regards,
Oblivion

Meson works fine in Windows also.

I do not understand what the macros are about. Not sure if an UppHub would attract many people honestly. It can be good to have and nice in theory, but people go to Conan or Vcpkg for packages to be realistic. However, I am not the one who take this kind of decisions and if it is good for Ultimate++ project I do not have anything against it, it is just my two cents.

I just would like to contribute at least the possibility of consuming the packages in a standard way. With the compilation of the code in Meson TheIde executable is also provided. Conan package manager and Meson wraps can provide and serve programs, not just libs, so this would spread also the number of people that
can try TheIde. They can also do packaging and more and streamline releases if needed.

Thank you for your feedback!

[Updated on: Mon, 18 July 2022 23:44]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message