Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » OS Problems etc., Win32, POSIX, MacOS, FreeBSD, X11 etc » Use TheIDE on Windows Subsystem for Linux v2 (You can run TheIDE POSIX version on WSL2)
Use TheIDE on Windows Subsystem for Linux v2 [message #60448] Mon, 05 February 2024 22:50 Go to previous message
frederik.dumarey is currently offline  frederik.dumarey
Promising Member
Hello,

Just in case you were wondering: yes you can install TheIDE on WSLv2 with X11 support, so running a X11 window next to regular Windows forms.
I took a screenshot in attachment just in case you asked yourself how it looks like Smile
I like it a lot, no need to install a second OS, very easy sharing of files between Windows & Linux subsystem, etc...

Here's how to (summarized), if you have problems let me know, I can try to help you out:
- install wsl2 on Windows 11 (wsl--install), this will enable the mini virtual machine manager, and install ubuntu as default distribution
- install flatpak, you can find detailed instructions here: https://flathub.org/setup/Ubuntu
- shutdown wsl: wsl -- shutdown
- restart wsl: wsl -- user [your_user_name] -> you need to provide the user name in order to make X11 work properly (and not making garbage on the screen)
- install TheIDE: flatpak install flathub org.ultimatepp.TheIDE
- run TheIDE: flatpak run org.ultimatepp.TheIDE

here in my case, the terminal did not want to install the extra libraries, so I did it manually in a separate terminal window: check the terminal window in order to copy/paste the apt-get install libraries you need.

After installation, just say "y" to continue, and happy you: TheIDE POSIX version is running on Windows next to your other Windows applications.

I did some simple tests, cli and gui, and all compiled well, and ran fantastically Razz

Regards,

Frederik Dumarey
Belgium

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Linux embedded development without X11/GTK dependencies
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 18:12:57 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01472 seconds