Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » A Few observations on U++ (lack of) documentation
Re: A Few observations on U++ (lack of) documentation [message #5702 is a reply to message #5699] Tue, 10 October 2006 16:25 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Quote:

because I am using the release version (605)

Maybe this is the part of problem, a lot was finished since last major release. There are now quite good GUI, NTL (well, that one existed before, but is now fixed) and Image tutorials. We will add more as time comes (perhaps more chapters to GUI, something about Core, short Draw tutorial and SQL tutorial).

I cannot quite recommend current dev release (it is working, but because of flaw in install process, you cannot recompile IDE with it), but when next dev goes out, try it.

Tutorial are also accessible via website:

http://upp.sourceforge.net/www$uppweb$documentation$en-us.ht ml

Quote:

3) btw, I seem to see that the USC scripts seem merely partial copies of the CPP sources;

Good to hear that Smile That was the design decision (and the main reason to develop Esc scripting language).

Quote:

what's the use of USC then?

It is script interpreted by TheIDE, so that you can use them at design time. Sure, alternatively this could be also managed by compilating .cpp in some form of .dll with defined design mode interface (Windows .ocx widgets are using this approach), but that is much more heavyweight IMO.

Quote:

But anyway, I do think UPP is a great effort, and the fact that I'm willing to criticize it this strongly shows really how much I wish it to improve. I seriously think a little more documentation would serve it properly. And btw, for gui_tutorials, u should probably include a brief tutorial text to go with each tutorial. Learning from source-code is seriously quite hard, especially for complex controls like SQL controls where a beginner to DB programming might not understand SQL terminology u take for granted.

As I said, working on it. Anyway, in fact, neverbody so far said U++ is tool for beginners. In reality, many of users seem to be experienced C++ programmers that are disgusted with existing tools. That of course does not mean we should not work on improving the learning curve. We do.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Interesting... U++ on "windowsmarketplace".
Next Topic: Working on new article...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 09:29:31 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03200 seconds