Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » A Few observations on U++ (lack of) documentation
Re: A Few observations on U++ (lack of) documentation [message #5730 is a reply to message #5729] Wed, 11 October 2006 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

arixion wrote on Wed, 11 October 2006 06:50

I see your point. In fact, actually what you were saying is exactly what I ahve been trying to say, save for lack of concise language. What I am asking for essentially is to have more tutorials which are documented properly. Reference examples can be learnt from, but only if they are given at least a brief comment on each line of code that relates to a particular demonstrated function, or a summary of what the code means afterward. Otherwise, it's just as good as someone dumping the source-code of a complex program and asking you to learn the programming language from studying that.

Agreed. All example should have descriptions. From the other hand at least in my opinion examples are not complex, they seem rather simple but longer than references.
Quote:

ANd perhaps I need to clarify: I am a newbie to UPP, not to GUI programming (I have tried Swing a few years back and FOX more recently) or C++ Programming in general

I'm sorry if I suggested in my previous post lower qualifications Wink

Quote:

. I come to UPP with 2 intentions - as I suppose is typical of users of open-source programs - : To develop programs using UPP and to extend UPP with additional components. And at this point in time, I'm focusing on the second part,

I agree that it is easier to extend upp if the code of it is good documented. But personally I don't like to comment the code (but I try to comment only "hard-parts") and to read over-commented code as well. Maybe if theide was able to hide some parts of text like visual studio in c# (#refion #endregion) everyone would be happy then. Newcomers turn them on, more familiar with upp code users turn them off.

Quote:

more specifically I am trying to port (FX)Scintilla to UPP and to create a version of Irrlicht embedded in UPP. I am attempting to identify links between Scintilla and CodeEdit, so that I don't need to repeat coding of fucntionality i.e. I can simply extend UPPScintilla from CodeEdit, with the only addition being code-folding capability. For the first, the CodeEdit source is fully blank on any fucntionality documentation that can help a beginning developer. And for the second, I don't really have any idea how to compile the Irrlicht Source-code (available with *.cbp) on TheIDE.

Interesting, I wanted to port scintilla myself. Unfortunately because of lack of time I only downloaded the sources...
Anyway, that would be great if you could do that!

Quote:

Btw, is Mirek the ONLY developer of UPP??

No. There is Tomas Rylek too, but he seems to be busy man now...
I'm trying to help implementing new widgets.
Some users like zsolt are sending patches from time to time.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Interesting... U++ on "windowsmarketplace".
Next Topic: Working on new article...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 11:53:37 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02886 seconds