Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Quick start issues for new users
Re: Quick start issues for new users [message #5733 is a reply to message #5727] Wed, 11 October 2006 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Quote:

<2> SPEED: Building programs is SSSLLLOOOWWW... ... ... (slow) I would like to build my program at least twice a day so I can make corrections. DevC++ can build small applications in less than 1 second, instead of several long minutes with Ultimate++.

Try to build something of equivalent size. Even smallest U++ GUI examples have to compile the whole GUI library first (about 60000 lines in 160 C++ files). If I remember well, Dev-C++ examples are nothing more than single .cpp file usually. No surprise that compiling single file is faster.

Anyway, once you have compiled it for the first time, libraries should be cached for further use.

Quote:

Even when optimized for size, final programs are 3 times larger than VC6 (Yes this comparison includes statically linked and embedded runtimes on both compilers).

Unfortunately (as long as you are comparing apples with apples - building the same code), this is the feature of mingw (and gcc, although latest seems a bit better) toolchain.... It simply produces about 70-100% longer code compared to MSC tools. Sad but true.

Quote:

more experienced to voice your opinions as to why you think that developers should switch from other IDEs to Ultimate++.

No, we do not think developers should move to TheIDE alone. But we would like to move them to U++ _platform_ (which includes the library).

Mirek

Read Message icon4.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message