Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Library : Other (not classified elsewhere) » HTTPS?
Re: HTTPS? [message #6858 is a reply to message #6849] Fri, 01 December 2006 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
rylek is currently offline  rylek
Hi there!

Honestly I have never needed a secure HTTP client myself, so I've never even checked the relevant RFC. Merely substituting normal sockets with SSL sockets should be fun using the Web/SSL module, you just need to separately download and build the SSL library couple (ssleay & libeay). In contrast to the image encoders, we haven't included these in the uppsrc plugin subtree; as they comprise about 600 source files and hosts of build and configuration options, we're afraid it would be halfway between impractical and totally insane.

Remember that to get the SSL sockets up and running, you have to somehow cope with the certificate stuff. I don't know how much support would be needed in the core client itself, it's quite likely it is possible to delegate most certificate setup & verification to the code using the HTTP client (perhaps using a callback). Please note that the Web/SSL library supports the build option .NOSSL which turns the SSL stuff off. If the HTTP client should implement support for SSL, it should also support this option to enable limiting SSL code linking to applications which really need it (the libraries have about 2 megabytes, which seems to me quite a lot).

Regards

Tomas

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message