FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » svn
Re: Bit of bussines and money.... [message #8079 is a reply to message #8078] Tue, 06 February 2007 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
luzr wrote on Tue, 06 February 2007 12:06

There is no such thing in U++. The whole package system/build system and TheIDE are designed to avoid this. You should never put machine specific stuff into package directory.

There's no such thing in U++, yet I'm hitting it all the time on my own projects. But I admit I can get rid of them if I invest some more time into setup of some tools and development machines. It's more about how much lazy you are, with SVN you can be lazy because you can have unversioned files together with real project files. Than you are paying extra price whenever you forget to add new files into the project (almost never happened to me, but have had luck on coworkers doing it twice a week).

Quote:

Anyway, I think that forum based "bazaar" will be more useful.

I think the opposite. It's sort of subjective feel, but I have my reasons.

Just follow this example, maybe I will be able to show my way of thinking:
I try to patch TheIDE with some new feature, let's say it does affect some considerable amount of files and inner API of TheIDE.

1) forum bazaar:
- I post a comment with patch included.
- Than there is new release of upp which breaks the original patch.
- I download the new upp, extract/install it which will destroy my patched version.

* at this point if anyone wants to check the feature he must download the correct (older) version of upp and apply upon it.
* at this point comparing the two versions of upp sources (current official and patched older) requires the same process.

- I download the patch (or take it from backup).
And merge it (either by hand or with tools) with new release + fix it.
- I repost the patch back to forum.

2) SVN bazaar:
- I branch the ide, and commit my patch.
- new release of upp breaking the patch in original form.
- download/install new upp locally (patch gone)

* at this point if somebody wants to check the feature, he simply does check out the branch with patch, it will automatically checkout with the correct upp (older) sources ready to compile and try.
* comparing sources is question of comparing current "trunk" with that patched branch.

- I either
a) merge the changes from my branch on the official trunk
b) merge the changes from trunk on my branch
+ fix the problems.
- Commit the new upp flavor back on my branch.

IMHO while the difference is probably subtle, I love working with repository more than downloading/merging manually with files and I think it's a tad easier.

As I said, it's mostly subjective and probably personal preference.

Than there's the aspect of development metrics... having anyone committing into SVN would increase the number of developers which can be detected by things like http://www.ohloh.net/projects/4127 giving the project better image.

That's how I feel about the subject, I hope you gained something by using your time to read it Smile.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: The age of multicore has just started for U++....
Next Topic: OS X
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 12:56:59 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02444 seconds