FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » GCC.bm problems
Re: GCC.bm problems [message #8761 is a reply to message #8760] Thu, 29 March 2007 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
ebojd wrote on Thu, 29 March 2007 08:54

luzr wrote on Wed, 28 March 2007 15:46

Well, I am simply not sure this is worth the effort. Having existing .bm, variations are minimal and usually you can have it fixed in minutes. I think it will change two or three times on each distribution max. Fixing Makefile generator to generate .bm would be take days. Fixing generated Makefiles would not solve a problem, as you would have to fix Makefile more often then to fix .bm.

Mirek

OK. My thought was that without it, it does not just "run out of the box". Once you have anything running, then I agree that the changes are trivial. The real problem comes for someone building u++ for the very first time, and has no clue why it is broken... When this happens to me I first ask myself why it does not work, then I ask myself if it is worth trying to figure out what went wrong, and lastly I ask myself if the basic install fails, then what else did they get wrong. U++ is a really great tool, and having an install break out of the box leaves the wrong impression IMHO.

EBo --

Well, I think we should rather try for per-platform presence (.deb, .rpm etc.)

Mirek

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: list of uppsrc to be release