Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Library : Other (not classified elsewhere) » A few new user questions and comments
Re: A few new user questions and comments [message #10135 is a reply to message #10111] Thu, 21 June 2007 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gerryw is currently offline  gerryw
Hello All,

I very much appreciate your responses. It's always a pleasure to look at a project that has an active user/dev community around it.

I guess at this point I'm trying to figure out what the effort is going to be to get this puppy into a production build environment. It looks like there are two major tasks necessary to make this a reality.

1. Remove / Resolve dependencies between "theIDE" and the U++ lib build. We need to be able to build the lib for both M$ and Linux within a fully encapsulated cmake build.

2. Develop some layout widgets that will replace "theIDE" layout designer.

I'm going to have someone on the team design and size this effort and we will see where we end up.

We are actually evaluating several GUI toolkits / frameworks. UPP looks promising from a lib perspective. Unfortunately, everything we are looking at requires some type of tweaking to work for us. We have managed to reduce the list to just a few though. I intend to assign a developer to each one to evaluate usability and the effort involved to make it fit.

The current list is:

FLTK
VCF
WxWidgets

FLTK - This is the current team favorite. I must admit I'm rather fond of it too. However, there are several work items involved in getting this to the point that it is usable. Cross-platform printing support is probably the biggest shortcoming. Although the API and performance are refreshing.

UPP - As noted above.

VCF - This was initially eliminated do to several things about the API that the team didn't like. However, we've decided to give it another look.

WxWidgets - This package is very complete, but everyone really dislikes the macro thing. It also seems to vary significantly in quality between various widgets / classes / platforms.

Note: We have not yet had the opportunity to write any code against UPP or VCF. The list above just represents where we are in the eval process right now. If y'all are interested, I will keep you posted.

Thanks again for you time and assistance,
Gerry

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Interested, but do I have to use TheIDE ?
Next Topic: Ultimate++ and SSH/SFTP ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 09:55:14 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01867 seconds