Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » What improvements for Upp on Linux to comply with freedesktop?
Re: What improvements for Upp on Linux to comply with freedesktop? [message #10755 is a reply to message #10754] Fri, 27 July 2007 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ebojd is currently offline  ebojd
Experienced Member

It would also be productive to try to conform to something like the Linux Standard Base (LSB) for installation locations, guidelines, etc.

The single .config path for applications is really nice. I would prefer to see the versioning modeled after KDE:

/home/${USERNAME}/.config/upp/${VERSION}/appname/*

That way all UPP files regardless of version can be maintained. I simply skimmed the URL listed and may read them in detail later. Another thing I would like to interject here (which may or may not be covered in the suggested standards) is to have a single directory tree for each config which are *overloadable* by the user configs. Example, the location of the uppsrc tree:

/usr/share/upp/2007.1/.config/uppsrc.var

UPP = "/usr/share/upp/2007.1/uppsrc";
OUTPUT = "/old_root/upp/devout";
COMMON = "/usr/share/upp/2007.1/Common";

which is then oveloaded with any settings in:

/home/username/.config/upp/2007.1/uppsrc.var

OUTPUT = "/home/${USERNAME}/upp/devout";

I would also like to see the addition of BIN_DIR, LIB_DIR, DATA_DIR, and CONFIG_DIR to help manage installation of binary, library, data and config files.

When I started on of my current projects for which I choose U++ I had started writing all my code using GNU programming standards. Unfortunately, U++ and GNU standards do not mix well (like naming conventions). There are, however, some guidelines which would be good to glean from them such as *all* makefiles which include an install directive *must* also include an uninstall.

I have also mentioned wishing an extension (for package organizer) that allows developers to allow pkg-config to be used. Something similar to:

LINUX: `pkg-config --libs x11`

More later I have to go...

EBo --

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: What libraries would be needed/recommended for multimedia in U++?
Next Topic: Anybody knows how to get number of CPU cores?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 13:36:35 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03522 seconds