Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » What improvements for Upp on Linux to comply with freedesktop?
Re: What improvements for Upp on Linux to comply with freedesktop? [message #10780 is a reply to message #10775] Sat, 28 July 2007 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ebojd is currently offline  ebojd
Experienced Member

> Or will there be some easy mechanism how to import older
> settings into new version?

The programs which have provided this level of control typically have a mechanism which will copy the last versions config info to the new version the first time the new version is run -- signified by no config files for that version. So, this is a question of "bootstrapping". Another option is to ask the use if they want the defaults or to copy over the old config info. There can be annoyances/issues with doing either (such as should we override the UPPSRC and COMMON variables or keep the old ones... I'll write more on that if people are interested in that discussion which is likely to be rather long and tedious.

> I'm not sure if I do get you right and fully understand
> how the Upp should work and how applications build upon
> Upp should work to take advantage of this.

I can see it going either way. Should the application keep it's own version configuration tree,

/home/${USERNAME}/.config/upp/${VERSION}/appname/${APPVER}/*

or will it suffice to have the application build relative to a distribution of U++:

/home/${USERNAME}/.config/upp/${VERSION}/appname/*

For most cases I think that the latter will suffice because it allow the developer to (re)build the application against a specific version of the U++ source tree. From a users perspective they simply rebuild the applications when they update U++.

The real advantage of this for the developer is that they can build/test/maintain applications across multiple versions and recreate a clients configuration. Have you ever updated U++ to discover that one of the API's had changed and your code will no longer compile? I have... From the users perspective the program hast to be rebuilt if they want to use the new code anyway, so there should be no requirements beyond that from the user.

If we are going to pick this one apart, can anyone suggest a specific application so we can come up with some concrete examples?

EBo --

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: What libraries would be needed/recommended for multimedia in U++?
Next Topic: Anybody knows how to get number of CPU cores?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 13:08:20 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01766 seconds