Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » A new container in works: Flex - fast insertion vector
Re: A new container in works: Flex - fast insertion vector [message #11684 is a reply to message #11683] Fri, 21 September 2007 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
sergei wrote on Fri, 21 September 2007 07:51

When I said sorted containers what I needed is not find/unique (hash could do that too), but to iterate over all elements, from smallest ro largest / reverse. You say operator[] is slow. Would such iteration be slower than in set, or not?

Not actually measured, but iterating through link structures tends to be slow with modern CPUs, so I would say that the linear iteration would be about the same.

That said, it is a bit surprising that you would prefer sorted container only to get items in order. Using Index (or generally a hash_map) and Sorting the result beats this in most cases.

For me, the main advantage of such container would be the lower and upper bounds.

Quote:

I don't know how allocators work, but what have you done to get it faster than default? Some kind of buffering to allocate once for several small elements?

The algorithm of latest U++ allocator is described in the Core/srcimp.tpp.

Mirek

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message