Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » Problems with debugging in TheIDE (mingw)
Re: Problems with debugging in TheIDE (mingw) [message #12044 is a reply to message #11581] Tue, 09 October 2007 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
tvanriper is currently offline  tvanriper
I use both mingw and MSC8 (although my MSC8 is from the full version, not Express... but that really shouldn't matter to TheIDE). I've never had a problem with debugging, as long as I ensured I was creating a debugable program.

At the top of TheIDE, you can find two drop-downs. The second dropdown may say 'MSC8', followed by some other word. If that other word isn't 'Debug', you'll have a hard time debugging your program, since you are not compiling any debugging information into your executable.

You should be able to left-click on the right combo-box button (it's an interesting combo box, with left and right buttons, instead of the traditional kind with only one button) to change the option.

If this does not help, you may have some kind of path problem. You might want to click on 'Setup', then 'Build Methods...' to see if your paths and and options look correct. When I get home, if I can remember to do this, I can look at my settings to see what I have, so you can compare.

For whatever it's worth, I use MingW at home, and MSC8 at work. I like both compilers, honestly, but I feel slightly dirty using MSC8, as I'm not a fan of Microsoft.

That said, since I'm currently at work (sshhh... don't tell anyone I'm browsing the forums at work), I can give you my MSC8 settings:

Debug options: -Od
Optimize for speed: -O2 -GS-
Optimize for size: -O1 -GS-

Use BLITZ for debug, but do not use BLITZ for release.

Default Debug info level: Full

All static for debug and release.

Paths to PATH executables go to Common7/IDE folder, VC/Bin, and the SDK Bin folder.

Paths to INCLUDE go to VC/Include, and SDK Include.

Paths to LIB go to VC/lib, and SDK Lib.

I hope this somehow helps.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Getting "heap leaks detected!" error messages on program exit. How to debug it?
Next Topic: linking difficulties under msvc
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 21:51:09 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04757 seconds