Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Installation, Compiling and Running of theide » Console Applications
Re: Console Applications [message #12366 is a reply to message #12335] Fri, 26 October 2007 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Ah input. I never use input during development (except some by-hand tests in shell outside of IDE), so it didn't occur to me you may need it.

Well, input inside TheIDE is probably impossible (unless Mirek will prove us wrong).

In windows having the option "Standalone" will cause the application to run inside cmd.exe window, but in kubuntu this option does nothing for me. IMHO this may be fixed easily(?) by somebody who knows more about TheIDE source and about execution of binaries inside *NIX shell.

Possible workarounds for you:
1) use shell and run the binary outside of IDE. (I would especially recommend two monitors setup or virtual desktops, so you can switch easily between IDE and shell window)
2) if you use all the time same input, put the whole input into some input.txt file, and run your application with " < input.txt" program arguments (Debug/Run options..). Your application will read input from that file than.
Actually 2) will save you lot of typing if you always run the application with same input, and it may work as some sort of automatic test for you.

I would also suggest to develop firstly as many inner modules (eventually split into different packages if possible and it feels good from API/objects design point of view) as possible with predefined inputs for automatic tests, and do the final testing of whole application afterwards by hand in some shell. (Although automatic tests are always better in the long term, but sometimes they may be tricky to create/execute, if the "*user* input" should be emulated in such test)

Read Message icon9.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon4.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon12.gif
Read Message
Read Message