Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » SVN plan...
Re: SVN plan... [message #12429 is a reply to message #12428] Tue, 30 October 2007 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
My suggestion:
1) integrate SVN as is into TheIDE.
Nothing really fancy, just some basic things per file like update/commit/compare with [working copy/svn]/revert.
Some project level things like add/delete/rename files.
And some informations like current SVN repository/branch for current project/file.

Everything more advanced may be IMHO let on other SVN tools. (SVNtortoise rules Very Happy )

2) check out other version control systems, I don't have experience with anything else than CVS/SVN (and MS SourceSafe, but that one is sort of joke, not version control system), so I can't help directly, but I think most of the "UVS3" work will be waste of time, because there's probably already some version control system which will work just as you like.

Linux core developers use "git", and ubuntu community does use Bazaar ( http://bazaar-vcs.org/ ) which supports for example distributed repositories (i.e. local ones too).

By Integrating other version control systems into TheIDE you will make just more users happy, so there's no harm done by this.

What I would not like is the integration of SVN *only* in a "polluted" uvs3 way, that would bring no benefit directly to me.

And there's another thing to consider, where do you want to store UPP sources. The sourceforge has SVN, you should either migrate there completely (that means uvs3 = whatever it will do, in the end it will have to update classic SVN correctly = doesn't sound easy to me, especially if more than 1 developer will work on sourceforge SVN). Or you will end with same situation like now, when there's simply no motivation to fix upp sources extensively, as to propagate the changes to upstream is slow and tedious process.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Quick and dirty solution to .icpp problem...
Next Topic: About DHCtrl and window handles...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 07:36:21 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02366 seconds