Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » TreeCtrl » hierarchical tree data structure & binding to TreeCtrl
Re: hierarchical tree data structure & binding to TreeCtrl [message #12635 is a reply to message #12445] Sun, 11 November 2007 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
[quote title=solareclectic wrote on Thu, 01 November 2007 03:35
Now, to the real question... I'm looking for an obvious way to keep that Model/View/Controller separation that we've all been compelled to accept as gospel.
[/quote]

Well, I am afraid, if you are looking for rigid MVC model, you are in the wrong place here... Smile

Quote:

Can I just use TreeCtrl as my datastructure, as it provides all the functionality that I require, including the GUI stuff? Or if MVC separation must be maintained, is there a harm in using two TreeCtrls - one for the View, and one for the Model that just never gets shown?

Actually, why should your model be another TreeCtrl?

Make a real model and refill (or modify) TreeCtrl as required...

Quote:

And, a bonus question... (though for different widgets)
Since I'm taking shots a MVC separation anyway, I'm finding a similar situation with U++ nifty EditField derived widgets, which have all of the range/notNull checking, etc. that I want on to protect my Model object fields from getting set incorrectly, from the GUI or otherwise. If I want to keep, say, an Int datamember in one of my objects AND I want the user to manipulate it, why wouldn't I declare that datamember as EditSpin, instead of Int? Then when I want to present it to the user for editing, I simply have it draw itself?
Are there major performance/memory issues with this behavior?

I am not quite sure I understand the question. Anyway, maybe the answer is that U++ is desgined in a way that you usually do not need have "variable-widget" pairs (using variable to store the data, only use widget for GUI interaction). You do not need the variable, you can store the data directly in widget. You can even think about widgets as "value with possible GUI editing"...

I guess this also replies your "second TreeCtrl" question.

In short, using U++ widgets for other purposes is OK Smile

Mirek

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon14.gif
Previous Topic: Like the new Drag and Drop TreeCtrl but...
Next Topic: How to turn of tool-tips please?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 04:43:13 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01824 seconds