Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » TreeCtrl » hierarchical tree data structure & binding to TreeCtrl
Re: hierarchical tree data structure & binding to TreeCtrl [message #12764 is a reply to message #12668] Thu, 15 November 2007 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Novo wrote on Mon, 12 November 2007 14:56

luzr wrote on Sun, 11 November 2007 17:38

I am not quite sure I understand the question. Anyway, maybe the answer is that U++ is desgined in a way that you usually do not need have "variable-widget" pairs (using variable to store the data, only use widget for GUI interaction). You do not need the variable, you can store the data directly in widget. You can even think about widgets as "value with possible GUI editing"...

I think that separation of concepts (like graphical data representation and data itself) is very useful. Developing something more or less complicated without that is hardly possible.

Hey, only because you CAN do something does not mean you HAVE to do... There obviously are scenarios where it is better not to store data in the widget:)

(This is the same as some people insisting that you cannot allocate U++ widgets on the heap. Of course you can, but unlike other toolkits, you are not required to).

Quote:

Making clear separation of concepts requires a lot of experience in software design. That is not easy. But using good designed software is real fun ! Smile

Well, I just think that sometimes, people go over the roof here. Obviously, in some cases the separation is the right thing to do, but to do it always only leads to added complexity without any real benefit to the program reliability or user experience.

Mirek

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon14.gif
Previous Topic: Like the new Drag and Drop TreeCtrl but...
Next Topic: How to turn of tool-tips please?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 05:58:40 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02460 seconds