FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » C++ FQA
Re: C++ FQA [message #12546 is a reply to message #12539] Thu, 08 November 2007 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Zardos is currently offline  Zardos
Mindtraveller wrote on Thu, 08 November 2007 00:13

OK, as a developer who likes D programming paradigm, and who wants writing efficient applications, I will consider changing language to D if
1) There`s a simple way to guarantee no hangups at all.
2) My .exe will be <10%-15% slower than corresponding C++ code in any case.

These are critical conditions. Can D, or any other alternative fit?

I switched from D to UPP because:

D uses an old object format which makes it impossible to link you d programs with ordinary c libraries. You have to compile the c libraries with digital mars c. Or you have to use some convertes which converts the libs in the old format

Lack of D libraries: While I was in the language - D was an constant moving target. Every weekly new version broke your code (and the code of the libraries)

No professional GUI library available. Well you could build one of you own.. But see the point above.

Performance: Some D code compiles to very efficient code. Sometimes even better than MSVC, but some parts are unacceptable slow. For example the built in associative arrays are horrible slow. ...And you can not fix this by fixing the library, because they are really built into the language

Garbage collection: Even if the last version of the grabage collection is less conservative it is still a conservative garbage collection. -> See Mireks comment.

No useful IDE with integrated dubugger avilable. Productivity is not only related to the language...

And I completely lost interest of the language at the time when Walter decided to at CONST to the language (currently only in the development branch). Well he claims "you don't have to use it..." but I doubt this. I expect a similar disaster as in C++: Add one const and the source is infected...

IMHO C++ sucks. But I don't see a serious choice for my requirements. UPP showed me again that you can ship (most times) around the flaws of C++...
But I'm still dreaming of a language like D without the shortcomings. May be compiled to C++ in the first incarnation to make all C++ libraries available automatically?

So don't get me wrong. I think D is really great (except of the added const). It has fantastic template and meta programming capabilities and its design is clean and ellegant. It has all the state of the art constructs you would expect from a modern language...

[Updated on: Thu, 08 November 2007 14:01]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message