FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » C++ FQA
Re: C++ FQA [message #12588 is a reply to message #12587] Fri, 09 November 2007 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Fri, 09 November 2007 14:48

Sure, this is awful, but very often, the alternative is that it is not possible to finish your job.

Note that all these "high-level" language, whose propagators despise C/C++, have interfaces for these languages so that the dirty stuff can be done.

I'm not telling about 'make a new ""high level"" language, just speaking about making a system-level language more consistent and comfortable. Missing properties, delegates, right handling for rvalues-lvalues, awful macro language has *nothing* to do with the ability of doing system-level stuffs. GC is another matter but there I agree, i see GC as a way to do things without thinking, and has nothing to do with a language that has to be fast and real-time. Modularity also brings only advantages... so why not ? As I told in another thread, Borland did a great job with delphi, adding many useful extensions to pascal language, whithout loosing anything... better said, adding also the ability of low level machine access somewhere.
As an example, bring pick_ and reference counting inside the language would not break anything, if they're put as an option. The same for properties, delegates and some better handling of overloaded operators. Modularity should be not difficult too, it's just a matter of define a new object format that contains precompiled declarations too, as borland did with their packages for delphi. All that could stay side-by-side with actual c++ implementation.
Adding also a good string and array base types should not be a big problem too, and could also be much faster than actual template solutions.... so why not ?

Quote:

Quote:

well, a well written lib should do what the coder will, *not* what the user is missing. Before using C++ hacks to overcome libs limitations, you have 3 solutions :
1) Patch the sources, if you have them
2) Ask the original programmer to enhance the lib
3) Just find another lib that suit your needs

And if neither is possible? You quit the job?

Well, you must agree that the cases on which neither of the 3 solutions is possible are very rare... and yes, in such a case, I'd quit the job Very Happy

Ciao

Max

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message