FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » C++ FQA
Re: C++ FQA [message #12648 is a reply to message #12646] Mon, 12 November 2007 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Mon, 12 November 2007 09:46

Mindtraveller wrote on Sun, 11 November 2007 18:58

So, adding notes about efficiency, do you know how VCL handles it`s forms? Forms and components are converted to textual representation. The borland IDE gives text to linker, which adds these text resources to the end of .exe files. When you start any BCB application, it runs special parser (which is by default in dll!). Text resources are parsed. How? Application gives this text to internal engine, then to newly-created components which serialize their properties from text parts. That is how BCB application starts.

Actually, this might seem horrible, but in reality, it does not need to cause any real problems... Those text descriptions are usually not too big and easy to parse. I do not know too much about VCL, but this could be "OK solution" IMO...

I agree, BCB apps were fast starting, I don't see anything bad on loading forms from a resource file and/or from exe file. It show only that they had good serialization stuffs.

Quote:

Quote:

The greatest issue for me personally is that IDE "insists" on the only one programming style.

Smile Similar experience with MFC or some other environments. This is what made me sceptical about "visual tools".

(Ironically, it seems like U++ starts to be quite ide supported too... I guess if you have that power - to support your library in your ide - it is just hard to resist..)

I think that it's unavoidable.... every Ide tends to support best their own class library, as people have more skills on it.
That's the same for Codeblocks.... it can work with many widget libraries, but is focused on wxwidgets, as it's written using that library. They have wizards for a few more frameworks, but then no support for layout editing and more stuffs. It's a great tool, but not for quick development, IMHO. And wxwidgets is an old and heavy framework.
Theide is focused on Upp, has a good layout editor, is still young in particular in respect to help system and (IMO) debugger, but is lightweight and fast to use. You could use it with wxwidgets or other tools but.... why ? Smile

Ciao

Max

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message