FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Documentation and Topic++
Re: Documentation and Topic++ [message #12720 is a reply to message #12713] Wed, 14 November 2007 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

I think this is of course great to have one help engine for development docs and user (not programmer) documentation on application developed. So I vote for the original idea.

Next, from the design point of view, treeview-control guiding system as well as "predefined groups" seems to me not very optimal.

I`ll try to make suggestions how to increase usability. Of course, everything below is my point of view and a subject for discussion:

1) Leving behind any "magical words" line "srcdocs","srcimp". We simply don`t need that kind of magic. We need simple things to concentrate attention to the help text itself - without user`s brain guiding through magical labyrinths.

2) Information on package must be concentrated in one articles-tree. Each article has index-tags. So user has 3 ways to look at docs: manual view mode, index and full-text-search modes. Last two modes I`d like to be as MSDN ones.

This approach seems to me little more general. General enough to handle with programmers` manual as easy as user help.

3) src* groups are presented as:
src - number of articles, generated by TheIDE (and linked from some other articles if necessary). I`d prefer some package article to have these links listed by logical or functional groups (alphabetic access is available through Index mode).

srcimp and srcdoc articles are represented as links from (or part of) articles about respective subjects.
The general approach is the same: different kinds of information about subject must be in easy reach from parent article about subject. It seems very obvious way of making things user-oriented.

4) Fimally, general view of help system with approach suggested will be something like this:
index.php?t=getfile&id=832&private=0

5) Thoughts about root article I`ll try to write later, as all ideas about it come in order.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 November 2007 04:35]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon14.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Task: How to read GTK/Gnome settings
Next Topic: U++ infrastructure server...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 11:31:49 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02695 seconds