FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Great (and funny) Linus' speach about GIT
Re: Great (and funny) Linus' speach about GIT [message #13460 is a reply to message #13181] Wed, 09 January 2008 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
hi,
First of all, happy New Year to all.
Once again Embarassed sorry for my lengthy disappearance, part of which was my "ugly stupidity" (but even stronger as in Linus's speech) of not having a proper system of backups and version control. I've never imagined before that hard disks can malfunction and, eventually, die so frequently...
Positive result, though, I've got a new PC ( HP T7200 2Gb 2Ghz Core Duo tablet (...until Apple starts releasing tablets or I'll use my experience to hackintosh (I've got Apple licence)) which is able to rebuild all upp ide in ~30sec(!) instead of ~40 min 256MB Athlon 2800+.
The great thing about Linus's speech (thanks, uno, for the link!) that it opened my eyes or, actually, confirmed my gut feelings, that the notion "distributed" will dominate the world for the next coming years or even decades. Autocracy and related paradigms must die. "God" and "Central" is against the nature and evolution. (God is God when distributed? Smile ). Web 3.0 should reflect those changes. Wikipedia (as it is now) and centralized wikis should die. Progress and evolution can be most effective amongst groups of peers.
Conclusion and future dreams:
1. uppsrc under DVC (Distributed Version Control) (I'll definetely make my branches public after I make order with my home and hosted networks). Anyone else has done already (apart from Mirek's) or wants to follow?
2. Topic++ and forums connected, under DVC and accesible from theIde (does anyone want to investigate Rebol?)

Some technical (political?) questions:
1. Why uvs2 is not shipped with upp installation package, not on upp sourceforge, not on U++ webpages (or am I blind?) ?
2. how much does uvs2 compare to git (or needs changes to be better)?
3. what would be needed to use uvs2 for a "distributed system" (only setup FTP servers and exchange settings)?

Regards, Aris

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message