FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Great (and funny) Linus' speach about GIT
Re: Great (and funny) Linus' speach about GIT [message #13475 is a reply to message #13175] Thu, 10 January 2008 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I quite agree with you about the need of central point.
Than again I quite agree with Linus about cumbersome merges in CVS and SVN.
Did you notice that if you try to merge the same commit from other branch two times, the SVN goes hairwire instead of ignoring it?
Yes, it's user mistake to try to merge the same changes two times over code base, but the practical implications do result into "strong opinion". Very Happy

So if there is free versioning system with better merge tools than SVN+TortoiseSVN (the tortoise merge is not bad to see changes, but far from "the" artificially intelligent merge tool which would do much of (obvious) merge work for you - I would go for it.

I didn't try GIT yet, so I'm not sure how smooth the merges are there. IF they are really as nice as Linus advocates, it would be probably easier to force Mirek be a "Linus" for upp and having his repository as "central" one, than to fight with SVN later, if the user base grows (and I think it will grow.. maybe not fast, but so far every year there are more people here using upp).

I think the basic choice about centralized vs distributed is about how many contributors to core upp we expect in future. Whether Mirek wants to keep it as his personal piece of SW with few core developers, or he wants to release upp into wild and let everybody do with it whatever he wants, and than upon popular request merging those improvements back into official version.
(well, the upp license already allows anybody to take the sources and do whatever they wish with them, but the process of propagating those changes back to official release is not defined at all, and works on good taste+political skills in forums+mood of Mirek or Unodogs. This view is probably not very encouraging for new developers to [try to] contribute directly to core.)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message