FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Great (and funny) Linus' speach about GIT
Re: Great (and funny) Linus' speach about GIT [message #13483 is a reply to message #13481] Thu, 10 January 2008 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
fudadmin wrote on Thu, 10 January 2008 18:14

Big thanks for your very informative answers.
mdelfede wrote on Thu, 10 January 2008 11:16

...The only real problem I see is that, with sourceforge svn you can't open a single branch for write access (IMO), so who has write access to the development branch has write access to main branch too
Max

etc. etc.

you're wellcome Very Happy

Quote:

That means, I'm not alone who noticed that... Smile

So, branches are discouraged "not only by political but also by technical centralized autocratic upp project management nature and theIde version control unfriendliness"? like during good Soviet times Smile
ecc ecc....

You should maybe think also that theide (and upp) is quite stable because of its controlled development cycle.
Nobody is telling you that you can't share your patches and/or send to developers.... what you can't to is to fiddle directly with main code repo.
I must say that, being upp used by commercial development by Mirek & C, I agree fully with their restricted access to main repo. That's what, more or less, is doing Linus with linux kernel, too.
Besides of last year 2-3 crashes I had in Linux version (due mostly to lack of testing on Linux), I run daily theide (last uvs version) with absolutel *no* crashes at all.
I tried kdevelop times ago, and it was not half as stable as theide.

Quote:

Imagine an impact on U++ populiarity if it had its own made that versioning-merging tool we and many world programmers are all dreaming about!

and imagine the loss of popularity of U++ if theide would hang every 3 minutes due to badly tested code patches....

Quote:

Conclusions, or back to reality from all of yours points:
1. I can try (starting tonight) to create a separate public subversion repository with write access branches for all wanting to share contributions U++ friends....

that would be a great idea, IF you could keep that repo in sync with uvs development, along with users provided patches... if you have a lot of spare time, that'll really great stuff Smile

Ciao

Max

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message