FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Great (and funny) Linus' speach about GIT
Re: Great (and funny) Linus' speach about GIT [message #13492 is a reply to message #13491] Thu, 10 January 2008 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
mr_ped wrote on Thu, 10 January 2008 21:04

- what's wrong with whole svn writing rights, if the agreement will be to not commit any big change to official branch?
If anyone does commit something there, it can be rolled back, eventually he can lose svn access.

You don't take in account the possible mistakes on commits, for example. The best would be the possibility for everyone to create a branch and work on it, but avoiding the public write access to other branches. Then, it would be easy for Mirek (or some mantainer) to fetch the working patches and to merge them to the main three (or even uvs2).

Quote:

Should we be so hard even on obvious fixes of obvious defects? I would not like such policy.

I think that 'obvious' fixes are 2-3 lines of code, max. And those would be easily handled in forums. Of course, a forum dedicated to patches would be good.
Less obvious fixes, that maybe can change core behaviour, can be more dangerous. Just look on the time it took Mirek to accept my X11 DHctrl control, which involved many small changes in core code... and even, when he accepted it and merged it still contained a pair of nasty bugs. He was right to be worried about fiddling with core classes, I must say. Just think what could happen if anybody could fiddle with other's threes.

I'm quite happy with upp and theide as is it now.
The small caveats it has are being solved quickly, and I see the reaction against bugs are quick enough.
Maybe an added mercurial repository for code experiments on a centralized ftp server would be a good stuff, but then it needs a mantainer to keep it in sync with uvs2 as I'm trying to do now with svn repo. It's not an hard job, but it needs a person that can do it almost daily, to be effective.

If there's a volunteer here to do it, it's not too hard to find a free ftp server, build a mercurial repo synced with svn and open it to all.

Ciao

Max

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message