FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Great (and funny) Linus' speach about GIT
Re: Great (and funny) Linus' speach about GIT [message #13502 is a reply to message #13497] Fri, 11 January 2008 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mdelfede is currently offline  mdelfede
Ultimate Contributor
mr_ped wrote on Fri, 11 January 2008 09:43

... about mirrored svn, mercurial (and whatever you like, I think after the SVN is finally synced with uvs2 (great!), this is no more problem of UPP crew, anybody can create whatever repository likes, and sync with synced SVN ... souds ugly? It will be ugly. But there's not much more there can be done about it without radical change in upp core team, i.e. defining new philosophy/policies of maintaining upp project, choosing the tools and migrating from uvs there).

That's right for people be in sync with latest devel, not for people wanting to contribute. But again that's an hard stuff.
I guess Mirek must choose between having a tight control of his sources OR opening it to more developers. And, as he uses upp to develop commercial apps (and, I guess, to earn money of them) his choice must be the first one.

Quote:

As I wrote above, Mirek tends to change core sources a lot, he definitely likes to refactor code anytime he doesn't feel happy about it. (that's great actually)

And that's needed to stay tuned with, for example, new stuffs like windows Vista (beurk!). That, of course, because of some lack of code modularity in upp, to some extent. But again I can understand Mirek, adding more code modularity would mean a major rewrite of upp.... I wouldn't do it.

Quote:

So whenever you fork from official upp, do your own changes on let's say private branch in svn, if it takes you more than 2-3 months, you are facing ugly task of merging back to recent upp, especially if you don't merge continuously trough those 2 months.
If you work on something quite independent, this is not a real deal, if you work on something like that X11 DHctrl, it will probably make the process of "finishing" package much harder, as you are trying to hit a moving target.

That's the real problem. Contributors get an hard work to sync with upp continuosly before changes are merged in main three.
But I don't see an easy solution to that, without loosing control on code quality.

I think that we must distinguish betweeen 2 cases :

1- Changes to upp core stuffs
2- Adding new functionalities

For the first point, you'd need a different developing model, with all kind of problems it brings. I'd leave that like it is now, asking Mirek to insert patches inside main three after extensive testing.

The second point would be much easier for external developers IF
some sort of plugin system would be added to upp.
I'd like very much such a system... a plugin system with a SKD to develop external add-ons.

Ciao

Max

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message