FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Great (and funny) Linus' speach about GIT
Re: Great (and funny) Linus' speach about GIT [message #13511 is a reply to message #13505] Fri, 11 January 2008 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
[quote title=luzr wrote on Fri, 11 January 2008 11:27
However, one problem I have noticed over years is that quite often, somebody contributes some code and then goes silent for a long time (hi, Aris!).

Mirek
[/quote]

Maybe they were not entirely happy with something related? Smile
Ok, I don't want to waste too much time analyzing and explaining all possible reasons...
But... One thing I maybe (or maybe not Smile ) regret that you provoked me to get involved with that EyeCare comparison article and I went deep into web things. Because I'm a perfectionist Sad and I wanted that comparison to be like I imagine... In quirks mode. Something like yahoo widgets and for different browsers with splitters, charts, buttons etc. (one conclusion - all browsers are bad and slow but MS Internet Explorer is the fastest ). Because, how otherwise "ugly stupid" (using Linus words) wxwidgets fans would grasp that 282 lines is much less than 838 (and mostly ?.? times shorter...) from this kind of interface http://www.arilect.com/upp/articles/compare_EyeCare/index.ht m ... An improved variant with some really nice graphics design I incorporated into Xaraya's http://www.xaraya.org/ php templates and wrote some "small" helpers in U++ for that kind of developement. And? Then 2 or even more months I spend recovering pieces from my hard disk (No 4 in 2 years). Etc., etc. Doesn't matter. I'll publish that improved thing one day, anyway (but don't ask me when).
1. What matters is that a developer can't rely on one computer! 2. It's too expensive not to have a separate file server or servers.
3. And to work with a messy version control or without any is a (... put your worst word here )

So - advice me - from where, what and where to install and how to keep up in synchro with uppdev and do merges with less pain. Then expect my contributions very soon.

Aris
P.S. And mr_ped and mdelfede are very clever.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message