FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Ultimate++ for My Thesis
Ultimate++ for My Thesis [message #13622] Thu, 17 January 2008 20:30 Go to previous message
niofis is currently offline  niofis
Promising Member
I really really need to thank the Ultimate++ team. Thanks to you for helping me get my thesis project one big step furter.

I'm (still) working, on a ray tracing engine that distributes the rendering work over many (all available), comodity pcs networked together, intened to achieve realtime rendering. Akin to OpenRT.

At the beginning I was using VCEE 2005, but ran into different problems with it.

The first was that, the client gui, was hard to develop. Mostly because my not so extensive experiense mising c++(non-managed) and c++(managed), with .net framework libraries.

Second was that not all windows xp machines were able to run the binaries, much less a BartPE WinXP Live CD, that I wanted to do some testing with. No compiler/linker tweaking could make it work, nor discard those non-needed libraries.

And finally, I couldn't run the program on Linux using wine, because the lack of .NET Framework 2.0.

After some searching for a C++ IDE, I stumbled upon Ultimate++ and TheIDE. Fiddling with it for a week made me discard VCEE, and move my project on to Upp.

What a great library you have!!!!. Just doing a little work to networking classes, using your network classes, and rebuilding the client gui. My program was running and compiling natively on windows and linux. And with a little changes on the Upp sources (might share with you if you're interested), I could make it run on then PocketPC platform!!, a feat my peers said would take much time and trouble Very Happy.

I'm very impressed with the Ultimate++ library, thank you very much.

niofis

PD. I would like sharing some findings: MinGW outputs code that is almost 40% faster than the one compiled with MSC. Windows MinGW vs Linux GCC speed comparison shows that the linux version is around 11% faster than the windows one.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Successfull cross-compile to ARM9, AT91SAM9263-ek
Next Topic: an interesting C++ compiler (supports C++0x)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 02:04:41 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03437 seconds