FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Webtoolkit
Re: Webtoolkit [message #14369 is a reply to message #14318] Sun, 24 February 2008 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
"Check The C10K problem document."

Thank you, it gave me lot of new information. Unfortunately it just made me sure I don't want to code my own web server at all.
I would prefer to get all those "handle 10k clients in 200 threads" for granted from somebody else, and focus only on the application itself. Smile

Of course your point about debugging the application directly in TheIDE is correct. So in ideal world ... what about producing an apache (or other powerful web server) module in TheIDE and having the option to quickly to connect it on custom U++ web server with same API? I think it will turn out to be impossible for many many reasons (or possible only in case the new module would use very limited API set, thus making it useless in general), but I'm writing it here to show my way of thinking and what is interesting for me.

Back to topic, I also read something more about WT itself, and I don't need anything like that right now. Maybe one day it will be become very handy, because it may hide all those nasty browser difference from developer. Than again with late efforts of Mozilla, Opera and KHTML/WebKit to conform to W3C standards I don't feel the pressure to worry about browser incompatibilities. (I will reserve my right to ignore hopeless existence of IE .. for me it is dead and I don't care anymore)

I think doing simple HelloWorld.html in C++ is overkill, even with WT. I mean you still have to define some class, some constructor, etc... And I bet if I ever do some web project, it will still consist of many many simple html pages, even if there will be some horrible complex beast hidden inside.
So far I think I should rather look how to mix PHP and C++ in efficient and simple manner, that would suite my taste much more (and hopefully my needs too).

[Updated on: Sun, 24 February 2008 02:40]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message